Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Neat People vs. Sloppy People

The comparison and contrast essay, “Neat People vs. Sloppy People” written by Suzanne Britt is amusing. Suzanne describes neat people as mean and uncaring human beings; on the other hand according to Suzanne sloppy people are too caring and sentimental. It is obvious that her way of writing was made to amuse readers, to make a comical remark. My understanding of this essay is that Suzanne Britt herself is sloppy, and that is why she resorts to talking well about sloppy people rather than neat people.

Though the purpose of this essay was to entertain readers I do not agree with what she thinks about both classes of people; in my belief it is the other way around. The peculiar thing is that though I do not agree completely, I would have to say that to an extent some of the things that the author says about both forms of people are true. For instance, I myself am a neat person, almost safe to say perfectionist. I find pleasure when everything is organized and put in place. Suzanne makes some comments about neat people that are somewhat true. For example, I agree when she says that neat people like results. Also, just like Suzanne mentions I sometimes find myself dealing with the two unvarying principles: never handle anything more then once, and throw everything away. On the contrary, I don’t believe that neat people are bums and clods at heart. Personally, I grow great sentimental value to the things that surround me. Also, I pay attention to micro and macro details.

Sloppy people on the other hand, according to the author, are great human beings that can’t dare to part with anything because they have grown attached to it. When Suzanne says that sloppy people live in Never-Never land, I agree with her. Sloppy people in my opinion are lazy, but some sloppy people have such a perfect plan designed that they believe can never be reached, thus this give up and don’t try. I do not agree with Suzanne when she mentions that sloppy people give attention to every little detail. I can’t believe that someone who is sloppy can give attention to one thing at a time when their kitchen cabinets, for example, are filled with receipts and mail and a bunch of “junk.”

To conclude with, Suzanne’s Britt essay comparing both sloppy and messy people is an essay that merely entertains the reader. The essay is somewhat reversed in a way, because sloppy people are bums at heart, while neat people are caring and moral. Both forms of customs are completely different but neither is a wrongful way of acting. Nobody can change someone to better suit them. If a person is sloppy they will keep being sloppy forever unless they internally decide they have to change. In the same manner, if a person is neat they will always be neat.

No comments: