Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Death of the Moth

The Death of the Moth, in my opinion, is a fine but rare descriptive essay. As I was reading the passage I was contemplating on many of the things the author says. For instance, I have found myself in several occasions pondering on the idea of what life would be like for me if I was not human, if I was an animal or an insect, such as the moth of the story. The idea of imaging oneself being something else rather then what we are is silly.

Like the passage described this moth can be compared to a simple bead of life because it is insignificant, but as the story progresses we realize that though the moth is just a minor insect it too has life, and it wants to live. The moth keeps fluttering from one windowpane to the other because it wants to be free it feels trapped inside, and at the end of the essay we see that it dies because it feels as though it wasted all of its energy and got nowhere. Also, we see that the moth tried to the very last second to stay alive, he struggled to live, but death was stronger then he was.

The Death of the Moth serves as an example to today’s world. It is true that there is a beginning and an ending to life, everyone that lives has to die, but though every human being knows that, they don’t give up in life. As humans we are given the ability to fight for our lives to strive to get what we want, but the clue to that is to never give up, and to always try to the very last moment, to have faith and to believe that we can accomplish anything we desire. As I already stated the moth struggled to live and even when it knew that his time was over it kept fighting for his life, we should do the same.

No comments: